These spent grain brownies are made with nutritious ingredients and are perfect to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Prep time 15 min
Cooking time 25 min
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) applesauce
- 1/2 tasse (125 ml) plain Greek yogourt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) peanut butter or almond butter
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (50 g) cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (30 g) ground spent grain flour
- 3/4 cup (90 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (75 g) dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan.
2. In a bowl, whisk all the wet ingredients (overripe banana, applesauce, greek yogurt, egg, peanut butter and maple syrup).
3. Over the same bowl, add the flours, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Stir with a large wooden spoon until just combined, do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips and stir gently.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes with only a few crumbs attached.
5. Let cool, then cut into 12 pieces. If you like, drizzle with melted chocolate or peanut butter.