Craving a quick and nutritious snack? These Spent Grain Energy Bars will keep your energy level high for a long time and you can make them in less than 15 minutes.
Prep time 15 min
- 1 cup (250 ml) almonds, cashews or walnuts (you can combine the 3)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) ground spent grain flour
- 2-3 tbsp (30-45 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cocoa nibs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) hemp seeds shelled
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp (60 ml) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) coconut shredded and unsweetened
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 10 dates pitted
1. Place the nuts, spent grain flour and water in a food processor and mix.
2. Add the cocoa beans, hemp seeds, cranberries, cocoa, coconut and salt and process until it forms a smooth paste.
3. Let the food processor run and add the dates, one at a time, and mix until it forms a thick dough you can squeeze into a small ball. If the mixture is too dry, add up to 1/4 cup (60 ml) of water.
4. Line a standard-sized loaf pan with parchment paper then firmly press the dough into the pan. Sprinkle a little hemp seeds or shredded coconut to decorate the tops of the bars.
5. Place in the fridge for about 1 hour to firm.
6. Cut the bars and store in the fridge in an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator. You can also freeze them.